Blog, Cannabis Education

Help, My Dog Ate Weed! What to Do Next

Energetic dog running through a lush cannabis field with excitement.

My Dog Ate Weed!

My Dog Ate Weed How Do I Sober Him Up?

As a dog owner, you strive to provide a safe environment for your furry friend. However, accidents can happen, and one of the concerning scenarios is when your dog ingests cannabis.

Whether it’s a leftover edible or a plant from the garden, it’s crucial to know how to respond if your dog ate weed. In this article, we’ll discuss the steps you should take if you find yourself in this situation, the potential risks involved, and how to keep your pup safe.

The Risks of Dogs Consuming Weed:

Cannabis, which contains compounds like THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol), can have significantly different effects on dogs compared to humans.

Dogs are more sensitive to these compounds, and ingestion of even a small amount of cannabis can lead to a range of symptoms:

6 SIGNS Your Dog Ate Cannabis

Symptom Description
Lethargy Dogs who have consumed cannabis may appear excessively tired or lethargic.
Loss of Coordination Lack of coordination and stumbling are common signs of cannabis ingestion in dogs.
Drooling and Vomiting Cannabis consumption can cause dogs to drool excessively and may lead to vomiting.
Disorientation Dogs may exhibit signs of confusion or disorientation, including unresponsiveness to commands.
Increased Heart Rate Elevated heart rate is another potential symptom of cannabis ingestion.
Incontinence Some dogs may experience temporary loss of bladder control.

My Dog Ate Weed!

What to Do if Your Dog Ate Weed:

Action Description
Stay Calm It’s important to remain calm and focused to provide the best care for your dog.
Contact a Veterinarian If you suspect your dog has ingested cannabis, call your veterinarian or an emergency veterinary clinic immediately.
Provide Information Be prepared to share details about the type of cannabis ingested, the quantity, and the time of ingestion.
Observe and Monitor While waiting for veterinary advice, observe your dog’s behavior closely. Note any changes in behavior or responsiveness.
Don’t Induce Vomiting Inducing vomiting in cases of cannabis ingestion is generally not recommended, as it can lead to further complications.
Be Honest When visiting a veterinarian, be honest about what happened. Accurate information is essential for the best care.

Side Note: They often say that a dog is a reflection of the personality and traits of its owner, and I couldn’t agree more.

Allow me to share a heartwarming story about my cherished companion, Coco, a delightful weiner dog who graced my life for an impressive 18 years. In our younger days, we’d occasionally hotbox the bathroom together, and Coco would curiously lick at the billowing weed smoke we exhaled.

It was a humorous and memorable bonding experience that left him in a mellow, relaxed state. Throughout the rest of his long life, he seemed to genuinely enjoy these tranquil moments. It’s a testament to the unique connections we can form with our pets. Coco’s laid-back demeanor and open spirit served as a reminder that our furry friends can bring out the best in us.

Rest in peace, dear Coco. Your memory continues to evoke smiles and warm recollections.

my dog ate weed -Relaxed dog resting in a comfortable bed after ingesting cannabis.
My Dog Ate Weed!

My Dog Ate Weed How Long Will It Last

The duration of the effects of cannabis ingestion in dogs can vary depending on factors such as the amount ingested, the dog’s size and metabolism, the type of cannabis consumed, and the individual dog’s sensitivity to the compounds.

Generally, the effects of cannabis on dogs can last anywhere from a few hours to a full day or more. It’s important to note that the effects may start to subside as the body metabolizes and eliminates the compounds.

If your dog has ingested cannabis and is showing symptoms, it’s recommended to seek immediate veterinary care. The veterinarian can assess your dog’s condition and provide appropriate treatment based on their specific situation.

It’s always better to err on the side of caution and seek professional help to ensure the health and well-being of your furry friend.

My Dog Ate Weed!

My Dog Ate Weed Home Remedies

It’s important to note that if your dog has ingested cannabis, it’s recommended to consult a veterinarian immediately for proper guidance and care.

While there are some home remedies that might help alleviate mild symptoms, they are not substitutes for professional veterinary care. Here are a few steps you can take while waiting for veterinary advice:

  • Activated Charcoal: If the ingestion has occurred recently and your veterinarian approves, activated charcoal can be administered to help absorb toxins in the stomach. However, this should only be done under the guidance of a veterinarian.
  • Hydration: Make sure your dog stays well-hydrated. Provide clean, fresh water to help flush out their system. This can be particularly important if vomiting or diarrhea occurs.
  • Quiet and Comfort: Create a quiet, comfortable space for your dog to rest. Reduce external stimuli and noise, as your dog may be disoriented or anxious.
  • Monitor Symptoms: Keep a close eye on your dog’s behavior, coordination, and overall condition. Note any changes and share them with your veterinarian.
  • Small, Bland Meals: Once your veterinarian gives the go-ahead, you can offer small, bland meals to your dog. Plain boiled rice and boiled chicken can be easily digestible.
  • Limit Activity: Keep your dog’s activity levels low. Rest and minimal movement can help reduce the risk of accidents due to loss of coordination.

Remember, these home remedies are not a substitute for professional veterinary care. Cannabis ingestion in dogs can lead to serious health complications, and it’s crucial to seek immediate medical attention.

Always consult your veterinarian before trying any home remedies, and follow their guidance for the best care for your pet.

My Dog Ate Weed!

Preventing Accidental Cannabis Consumption:

To prevent accidental cannabis consumption by your dog:

  • Store cannabis products securely and out of reach.
  • Properly dispose of any cannabis waste, including edible wrappers and plant clippings.
  • Educate guests about the risks of leaving cannabis items accessible to pets.

Mistakes happen. Don’t panic!

My Dog Ate Weed!

Conclusion

While navigating situations where your dog has ingested cannabis can be unnerving, taking proactive steps is essential for their safety and comfort.

Seeking expert advice from a veterinarian is always a prudent choice, particularly if you’re unsure about the best course of action.

However, personal anecdotes highlight the value of providing a calm and soothing environment for your furry friend to recover. Over time, dogs may adapt and recover with the support and reassurance of their caregivers.

Just as each dog’s experience with cannabis ingestion is unique, your dedication to their well-being shines through in the compassionate care you provide during their recovery journey. More information

Joyful dogs bounding through a sunlit field with wagging tails.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *